What an election this has been! It’s sure to be an even crazier Presidency. Some people want to know if there is a way to impeach President Trump (feels wrong to say) before he even takes office. The top five state looking up impeachment are Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado.
The impeachment process happens inside Congress. It requires critical votes of both the House & The Senate. It is often said that the “House impeaches and the Senate convicts,” or not. Basically, the House first decides if there are even grounds to impeach the president, and if and when it does, the Senate holds a formal impeachment trial.
It’s no easy task to impeach a President.
In the House
- The House Judiciary Committee decides whether or not to proceed with impeachment.
- Then the Chairman of the Judiciary Committee will propose a Resolution calling for the Judiciary Committee to begin a formal inquiry
- Next the Judiciary Committee will send another Resolution to the full House stating that impeachment is warranted and why, or that impeachment is not called for.
- The entire House will debate and vote on each Article of Impeachment.
- Should any one of the Articles of Impeachment be approved by a majority vote, the President will be “impeached.” Only being impeached is sort of like being indicted of a crime, innocent until proven guilty. There still has to be a trial, and this is where the US Senate comes in.
In the Senate
- The Articles of Impeachment are received from the House.
- The Senate then formulates rules and procedures for holding the trial.
- Trial is held and The President will be represented by his lawyers. A select group of House members will serve as “prosecutors.” The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court will preside with all 100 Senators acting as the jury.
- The Senate will meet in private session to debate a verdict.
- The Senate, in open session, will vote on a verdict. A 2/3 vote of the Senate will result in a conviction and impeachment.
- The Senate will vote to remove the President from office.
Here are a list of some impeachable offenses.